Life has sure been busy these last couple of months but I feel like I’m finally catching my breath. I feel like I am finally getting this teaching thing down (which basically means I only feel like I’m kind of drowning…), I have found some good paths around our house to let Sparty run off leash (technically he’s not allowed off leash but…eh), we got a dog walker, our house is slowly but surely coming together, and Cody and I have been working out together and that is one of our favourite things to do with each other!
With this busy life, I have a tendency to get overwhelmed easily…and with the move and the new job I’ve had to figure out how to slow things down!
So, with this new path of life that Cody and I are embarking on together, I thought I would share the top 5 things I do to help my frazzled brain. Some of these Cody and I do together and some are on my own. These also may seem silly, but they really help!
- Set a bedtime. Now, you’re probably laughing, but getting enough sleep is one of the most important things you can do for your mental and physical health! Cody and I go to sleep at the same (embarrassingly early) time each night and when the alarm clock goes off in the morning we (well I, Cody will never be a morning person) feel so well rested!
- We set 5 weekly goals to help us accomplish what we need to get done! They are simple goals but it makes us feel really good when we actually can put a check next to something we followed through with! One of them being tidying the house each night for 15 minutes before we head to bed!
- When I have a lot of things to do, I choose just a couple of those things to focus on at a time. When I have 15 things on my to do list I can feel my blood pressure rising, but when I choose the 2 most important tasks and I only focus on those first, I feel so much better. When I do this, whatever I am trying to accomplish usually gets done quicker, and the end result is much better!
- I take Sparty for a walk in the mornings (almost every morning). This makes me feel like a better dog-mom, it wakes me up and I feel like I have so much more clarity for the day ahead. It’s only about a 30 minute walk but it feels good to be outside and not have the temperature above 100! I usually take him between 5:30 and 5:50 so I have enough time to quickly eat something and get out the door for work!
- I head to work early. If anybody knows me they know that I’m late for everything. We were an hour late getting to our own venue the morning of our wedding… Leaving my house early and getting to work 30 minutes before I’m supposed to ensures that I have plenty of time to get everything ready for the day. Then if I need to chat with another teacher, the principal, or any other staff I have time in my classroom and I don’t feel like I’m the frantic new teacher running around looking crazy!
So, there you have it! Just a few things that we/I do throughout the week. Hopefully this wasn’t too boring!
Have a great week!